I’ve been holed up with an old unfinished manuscript, trying to breathe new life into it for a specific market. Easier said than done. Sometimes I think writing something new is easier than taking a piece apart and reconstructing it. In this case I’m cutting what was originally an incomplete Christmas novel to 15,000 words–yes, a Christmas story. I don’t think I had enough plot for a novel anyway. The deadline is Saturday. Yes, gulp with me: the deadline is Aug. 18th, tomorrow, and I’m not finished!
Taken a look at how I’ve introduced the characters. I’ve introduced two characters and the problem on the first page. Unfortunately, the hero is not one of those two.
I’ve tried to break it into a 3-act structure to get a better handle on it. This seemed hard; should have been easier since I had the book outlined.
I’ve pinpointed the setting and trying, TRYING to make it apparent throughout the story. I’m terrible at creating setting.
I’ve cut all the subplots, and made the plot more linear. No flashbacks either.
I’ve taken a look at my characters and, where I can do it, combined two into one. Double duty.